Skip to main content

Babaji

 In this post I'm going to recount a few fond memories with my paternal grandfather, Babaji.

Most of these are of the time when he used to pick me up from school for a few months in fourth grade.

He used to pick me up from the front field of our school and we walked back to the car, often holding hands. I often found a small stone to kick along the way.

In the car, there would be always waiting for me a pillow and a bottle of cold water. It felt no less than luxury.

He asked me eagerly what I learned in school. I remember one time I told him I had learned a new word- unique. He asked me what it's meaning was and I said different. But that's not an exact synonym, and he explained the nuance in the different meaning of the two words. I remember, earlier he had explained to me the same way how the Hindi words बाल and केश differed from each other.

Since he used to pick me up from the field, where a lot of my classmates were waiting to be picked up too, I often asked them how old they think he is . They would have a hard time believing he was actually 86!

These memories with him will always be  a part of the invaluable treasure trove of childhood memories.

Nowadays, whenever I visited him, he gifted me a fancy pen. As a person who is averse to splurging on something as necessary as stationary, the pens were again, a little bit of luxury. I remember him when I write with them.

I hope he likes this post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pets

 I think almost everyone has had pets in their entire life at least once. It is 2012, I am six years old. We saw a lone parrot outside near our house, looking nervous and afraid. We were afraid a cat may attack him, since there was an abundance of them in the area we lived in. Naturally, we decided to adopt him. He was fully grown, and it was obvious that someone else had previously owned him, since he frequently said "roti de do" meaning " give me roti." We bought a cage that was big enough for him, and even let him out once in a while. We called him Mithhu Miya. He used to start squaking at around 9 am in the morning, much to our annoyance. He later passed away.  It is 2017. An elderly lady we know just called my mother requesting us to adopt two bunnies. We did some research about them, and decided to adopt them too. She told us that they were female. Uh, well, turns out, one of them was a male. The female, named Innie, later gave birth to five bunnies. There was

I look back to when I was eight

I look back and I go to when I was eight I used to look up to my seniors and think they were great They were so hard working, had it all figured out But now I'm that age and I'm just filled with doubt When I was younger everything used to be black and white But now everything is jut hues of grey Everyone seems to think that my future is bright And I don't know what to say I finally understand how quickly time flies I feel so lost, don't know what to do in life Everyone else seems to have it all figured out And I am the only one who is left out But I realized now that it is not all bad In the end, everything is gonna be all right As long as I stay happy and keep working hard What everyone else thinks will lose its might And I will only live for myself Be content with what I have After all, when everyone else has left I will be all that I have

A few fond memories with Mummy.

  I think most of us could write something on this title. However, as I have grown and seen how my peers talk about their mothers, and admire mine, I have realized she is not just my mother, but my best friend. Many a times I have heard classmates talk about how one cannot tell everything to their parents, and I have and silently disagreed. To her love not only for me but for everyone, her hardworking nature, her impeccable cooking skills, and her passion, I have learned and have yet to learn a lot from her. Her oiling and combing my hair almost everyday, and her telling me which clothes to wear as I have negative amount of fashion sense. I got awesome hand me downs from her,  I like to wear them. I find it very beautiful and quaint that I'm wearing clothes that she did when she was younger, and almost every time she says, "I can't believe that used to fit me?" I could go on and on about her cooking, I am not joking when I say that the food she cooks is better than th